Acute illness can strike at any time and these days with travellers circumnavigating the globe and bringing along a few uninvited guests, symptoms can strike any time of year, not just in winter as we used to traditionally expect!
This post is current as at 16 May 2023.
This post has had a variety of incarnations since 2020. However, as we see more mild strains and other varieties of illness merging and emerging, it is perhaps logical to say that we are now in the space of managing typical ‘winter-type’ illness just like we would have managed it in any year prior to 2020.
Many of you know how strictly we are still regulated around talking about any kind of named illness, so some of what is included here and in other posts has to be vague, but if you are unsure you can always send us an email or text to clarify.
TGA regulations prohibit us from “treating” or “preventing” certain named conditions! However, homeopathy has always supported the whole person and whatever ails them. We treat the person, not the disease!
In November 2021 as lockdowns and restrictions started to reduce, we put together a kit of the 20 most indicated single and combination remedies. These remedies have always been our most frequently indicated suggestions for winter-style ailments in the past and no doubt going forwards, because homeopathy has well over 200 years of data on managing and supporting people through a variety of health scenarios.
Please ensure you follow all current health regulations if you or your family become unwell and always seek medical advice for fever in a child under 6 months old.
Home Kit; Cold, Flu, C9 – 20 Remedies
Late in 2021 we put together a pack of the remedies we were seeing most commonly using worldwide. If we look closely at these remedies, they are the remedies I have dispensed every winter since I started in practice in 1998 and they will likely be the same remedies we will be suggesting into the future – give or take 1 or 2 depending on the actual annual presentation.
Because we treat the person and not the disease name, when we look closely the remedies aren’t too different if we’re talking colds, flu, S*RS or C9, and it’s comforting and should give us confidence to know this.
The Home Kit; Cold, Flu, C9 – 20 Remedies is on the website and there is information on the NOTES tab but I thought it would be a good idea to put the information in a post to make it more easily accessible for you all, plus some additional information on winter illness.
You can look at and purchase the whole Home Kit – Cold, Flu, C9 here and if you go to the NOTES tab just below the image for that product, you can see a bit more info on each remedy. It’s pasted below as well and we’ve finally written the flyer, which is below the kit information and on the product page.
You don’t have to buy a whole kit if you already have some remedies and while this kit is 200c because of the acute nature of the v*r*s, 30c should be fine too if that’s what you have. We certainly found through 2021/22 that the higher potencies have worked more efficiently and they are fine for small children too.
I’m also going to put at the bottom of the post information on using Get Prepped as a part of your routine general support and as part of a protocol if anyone does come down sick. Get Prepped has replaced Winter Prep in 2022, mostly in name, but see my comments below.
Don’t forget we have Pick Your Own Packs available if you are looking for a mix of remedies and want a bulk price.
Remember to check out the FAQs for how to use, how many doses, when to change remedies, etc and if your home prescribing is not bringing improvement contact your homeopath or health care professional asap.
Ensure you follow all government guidelines and mandates re testing, isolating, masking, etc in your state.
If symptoms do not improve see your homeopath, GP, ED or contact Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
There is still a lot of anxiety around anyone being unwell, mainly I think directed at us from the mainstream media at these times. If we take a breath, relax and look at the data for 2020/21 from the Bureau of Statistics, we see that things were much less severe than presented to us. MSM does have a tendency to increase our fear and anxiety, particularly if we have little children. These strong emotions suppress the immune system and make us more susceptible to illness, so important to manage if you can.
Aconite has been a super useful remedy in recent times. If you read below you can see the acute, fever-type picture. But it’s a major remedy for strong anxiety, fear, panic and so on. I’ve been recommending it in 200c to clients who are really struggling with anxiety and fear for themselves and their loved ones, and feedback is good on its level of support.
The other product we have is Soul Harmonics Resilience, a combination of vibrational essences, including Oak, which support us, bring strength and courage, and help us weather these stormy times.
If symptoms do not improve see your homeopath, GP, ED or contact Health Direct on 1800 022 222
Remedies for Winter
Home Kit; Cold, Flu, C9; I’ve listed below the 20 single and combination remedies in this kit.
Winter Remedies Kit; This is a 10 remedy kit of combination remedies, which covers a range of things and can be useful to have on hand.
Other Remedies; Below this list are a few other remedies which have been useful and may be useful into this winter and beyond.
Other Posts; I’ve written several other posts relating to this topic which I will list at the end as an additional resource, basically putting everything in one place for you.
Homeopathy is about individualising. Not everyone gets sick in the same way and this has been very clear with what has gone on in the past few months. So many different variations of symptoms which people talk about as different strains, but perhaps more likely different people reacting and manifesting in different ways.
Always individualise the remedy to the patient and how they present. How are they emotionally, are they thirsty or not, do they have fever, what is their cough like? If your picture doesn’t fit the remedies below, look for something else in the extended list or contact us.
Always seek medical advice for fever in a child under 6 months old.
What’s in the Home Kit Cold, Flu, C9
Here’s the downloadable flyer with some additional information. Flyer
- Aconite: Useful at first sign of cold, cough, earache, etc. Symptoms may come on suddenly, often in the night, after exposure to cold wind or following a fright. Fever with dry burning heat, strong thirst, intense pain and restlessness. Fear they may die. Worse around midnight. Better: open air.
- Anas Barb (Oscillo) 200c: Anti-v and anti-b action. If taken at first sign of cold, flu or other v*ral symptoms, may stop it progressing. Use as part of your management for colds and flu with indicated remedies (or use Get Prepped which is broader spectrum).
- Antimonium Tart: Rattly, wheezy, wet, chesty breathing with very little mucous coming up. Feels/sounds as if may suffocate, coughing and gasping, sometimes with nausea. Tongue coated, pasty, thick white. Worse: 3-4am lying down, warm room. Better: vomiting.
- Arsenicum Album: Burning pains and discharges – mucous, diarrhoea, throat, etc. Colds, headaches, sinus, insomnia. Symptoms often out of proportion to illness. Weak, anxious and restless when sick, fear when alone, anxiety about health, fussy and difficult to please. Very thirsty for frequent sips. Worse: midnight to 2am, for cold food and drink, Better: heat, hot drinks and food, company, fresh air (headaches).
- Belladonna: Fever with throbbing pains, burning radiating heat, bright red face, restless, usually no thirst with fever. Lethargic, delirious, barking cough, strawberry tongue. Earache, flu, sore throats. Worse: touch, light, noise, being jarred, draughts to head, night. Better: warmth, pressure.
- Bryonia: Headache, joint/back/neck pain. Dryness and strong pain are characteristic. Any movement aggravates, even talking or just moving the eyes. Sitting up can bring on vomiting. Dry painful coughs and colds which descend to chest, numonia. Very irritable, better alone. Very thirsty for cold drinks. Worse: deep breathing, hot room, dry weather, movement, touch. Better: pressure and lying on painful part.
- China: Ill effects of dehydration, acute illness with great weakness. Drenching sweats at night, flu with debility, periodic fevers. Useful recovery remedy after loss of fluids with great weakness. Worse: cold damp weather, autumn, from touch. Aversion to touch. Better: from hard pressure.
- Eupatorium Perforatum: Classic flu remedy, similar to Bryonia with sore, bruised pains in the bones, (as opposed to muscles – Gelsemium), bones as if broken. Unquenchable thirst for cold drinks.
- Ferrum Phos: First remedy to think of in beginning of any acute where there is inflammation/heat, eg fever, earache, or just for general unwellness. Keynote is that there are no keynotes; symptoms are vague. Patients take cold easily and are susceptible to chest troubles. TS Acutes (which includes Ferrum P)- can be useful for beginnings of ailments with a runny nose. Better: gentle exercise, warmth. Worse: cold air, exertion, 4-6am.
- Gelsemium: Heaviness, weakness, drowsiness with heavy, drooping eyelids. Trembling, chills and heat up and down spine, flu symptoms with aching muscles (see Eup Per). Nervous with frequent urination or diarrhoea. Symptoms after shock or fright. Worse: anticipation, humid weather, surprises, Better: urination, sweating.
- Hepar Sulph: Sore throats with pain spreading to ear, splinter-like pain (anywhere), like a fish bone or pin. Chunky, productive coughs. Inflammation, slow to resolve – ears, chest colds. Over-sensitivity is a keynote. Angry, irritable, difficult when sick. Very chilly. Better: warmth, wrapping up. Worse: getting cold, being in a draught, cold dry weather, fresh air, at night, touch, pressure.
- Phosphorus: Scrapy throat, sensation of a lump, hawking (coughing up phlegm), cough worse lying down. Generally no fever, no body ache. Blood nose, green or yellow/green mucous. Very thirsty for cold drinks, which may be vomited. Anxious, fearful (being alone, dark, death, storms), desires company. Irritable and sluggish when ill, apathetic, energy flares and subsides to exhaustion again. Better: after sleep, cold drinks, massage, company. Worse: cold, weather change, thunderstorms, being alone.
- Phos Ac: A useful later-stage remedy where there is weakness (emotional and physical) and slow recovery.
- Pulsatilla: Anything with lots of mucous; thick, yellow or yellow-green or creamy. Useful for conjunctivitis which has been present in some cases in 2023. Coughs dry at night and loose morning, earaches, fever, styes, upset tummies. Weepy, clingy, whingy when sick and desire company. Changeable moods and symptoms. Chilly but dislike heat and stuffy rooms. Usually thirstless. Worse: rich, fatty food, evening. Better: company, fresh air, cold food and drink, after crying.
- Rhus Tox: Back ache, hot painful swelling of joints, sore joints, worse for first movement, better once gets going. Cold sores, shingles, colds and coughs. Tongue may have triangular red tip. Worse: cold, wet weather, before storm, night, getting chilled or wet after being hot, over exertion. Better: heat, hot baths, movement.
- Chesty – Cough: There are a few single cough remedies in the kit, which double for other symptoms, but coughs can be tricky to manage, so our Chesty Cough combo is there if you struggle to work out which remedy fits.
- Cold and Flu: Included as a good first stage remedy if you’re unable to select from the above to start with. Includes many of the most indicated remedies for a range of similar situations. If symptoms progress or change, select a single remedy if you can.
- Immune Boost: A combination of traditional homeopathics to support and boost the whole system through illness. Use as part of your management protocol. May be used as a general immune support.
- Recovery Combo: Includes a selection of remedies traditionally used to brace up the system and aid recovery after an illness when there is lingering fatigue, weakness and cough. Contains Tub Av, a traditional remedy which has been found useful in resolving “the cough that lingers” in many cases. Should you require this as a single remedy, please email as it is practitioner only.
- Get Prepped: (relative to current year – previously known as Winter Prep) – a general support remedy to take weekly, may also be used as part of a management protocol (three times a day for first three days) along with other indicated remedies. Most years this remedy is “tweaked” to match what’s going on!
Winter Remedies Kit
We also have a little 10 remedy kit of combination remedies which can be useful if you are not a proficient or confident home prescriber yet. You can of course add any of the single remedies if they jump out as fitting someone in your family when they get sick and many people start out with a combo kit and as they get more confident add a few single remedies!
What’s in the kit?
Here’s the downloadable flyer with some additional information. Flyer
1. Get Prepped – (relative to current year – previously known as Winter Prep) – a general support remedy to take weekly, may also be used as part of a management protocol (three times a day for first three days) along with other indicated remedies. Most years this remedy is “tweaked” to match what’s going on!
Great for kids in childcare or new to school, but helpful to support the whole family with this remedy.
2. Cold & Flu Combination – To assist the early and common symptoms of a head cold or mild flu including runny nose, sneezing, nasal congestion and minor sore throats. Use alongside Get Prepped to assist recovery and reduce intensity of symptoms.
3. Congestion Combination – To assist recovery from lingering coughs, sinus congestion and mucous following a cold or flu. Symptoms may include sticky, stringy, copious, persistent mucous in sinuses or loose cough following a cold .
4. Cough – Chesty – To promote recovery from minor and uncomplicated chesty or loose coughs in children and adults. If symptoms do not improve within a few days, see your homeopath as constitutional treatment may be required for stubborn or recurrent coughs and check in with your GP.
5. Cough – Dry – Includes remedies traditionally indicated to promote relief from minor and uncomplicated dry coughs in children and adults, including those croupy sounding coughs.
6. Fever Combination – To assist the common symptoms of a fever associated with a cold or other minor ailment. Babies and small children with teething issues may respond better to ABC, but this combination is also appropriate for this age group. Always seek medical help for fever in a child under 6 months old.
7. Immune Boost – Includes a range of traditional immune boosting homeopathics in a form that is easy for children to take as the dose is small and the taste not unpleasant. Useful as a support during minor illness or as a boost during winter.
8. Throat Sootha – To assist with sore throats or mild tonsillitis alone or associated with a cold or similar illness. Use Belladonna, Aconite, Ferrum Phos or TS Acutes for the early stages but if symptoms progress use Throat Sootha. If cold symptoms are stronger than the sore throat symptoms try Cold & Flu which also covers throat symptoms of a minor nature.
9. TS Acutes – This traditional tissue salt combination is recommended for the beginnings of colds and similar ailments with sneezing, runny nose, possibly mild fever and general unwellness. Useful for small children when you suspect something may be brewing but you have no symptoms to pin a remedy on. A favourite of mine – if you don’t know what to give first – give TS Acutes!
10. Recovery – Respiratory – A useful remedy if you have someone with a lingering cough after a cold or flu, with low energy and low appetite.
This little kit’s the perfect size to pop in a bag or backpack for a day out or short trip.
What other remedies are useful?
Doubtless there are many other useful remedies. We could easily have the world’s longest post, but generally in a reasonably healthy individual, who just needs a little extra support, you should find something in this simple list. If your home prescribing is not helping, have a look through the posts below, contact your homeopath or visit your GP.
- ABC – Aconite, Belladonna, Chamomilla 30c – the most frequently indicated remedies for small children for beginnings of acute illness, teething, fever and similar. Always seek medical advice for fever in a child under six months old.
- Fever – The Fever combo contains those remedies traditionally indicated for the common symptoms of a mild fever associated with a cold or other acute ailment in adults and older children. Accompanying symptoms may include lethargy, chills, headache, anxiety.
How often to give the remedies?
We’ve seen people a little cautious with their doses, which is as it should be.
What you want to remember is we are working with energy; stimulating the system to rebalance itself and resolve the problem.
You do need to match the frequency of your doses to the intensity of the situation.
There is often confusion because when homeopaths treat constitutionally (ie for a chronic health issue) they may prescribe just one dose and then you wait.
Many homeopaths also prescribe for acute illness in this way, which is also as it should be. However, if you give one dose and nothing happens pretty quickly, you will need to give more doses until you start to see things improve. The body will use what you give it and if your remedy is right and you get an instant improvement, you can wait and give another dose as and when required.
However, because many people’s immune systems are challenged by life, we don’t always see this text book response and so I have always had a stepped approach to dosing for minor ailments.
If the remedy is not right and you’ve seen no change after half a day or 5 doses (see step 4 below) then you need to rethink your remedy or contact your homeopath.
Read carefully through all the points below:
For a 200c if symptoms are mild to moderate, give 3 x a day for 3 days unless symptom picture changes. Follow the symptom trail!
For a 30c you can give 3 or 4 times a day or even every couple of hours.
Continue for as long as there is improvement and the picture doesn’t change, reducing the frequency as you go.
If symptoms are very intense, ie very hot, very restless, etc, you can give a dose every 10 minutes for up to a maximum of 5 doses, then spread your doses out. Use this protocol only if someone is quite unwell, otherwise 3 x a day should be enough.
If there is definite improvement at any of the stages above, you stop and wait and redose if the symptoms return.
A strong immune system may well respond to single doses given as required. It means the body picks up the energy of the remedy and works with it for a period of time and particularly for things like sore throats, you can often give one dose and things settle.
A little bit on Get Prepped (aka Winter Prep)
Many of you will be very familiar with my suggestions of Winter Prep as an all-year-round support, which is what it has become over the past two years.
This was been updated to Get Prepped in 2022 with a very slightly different formula for those of us who took Winter Prep solidly for a couple of years!
We are now dispensing Get Prepped 2022/23.
Get Prepped (pka Winter Prep) was created as an annual support remedy way back, containing traditional homeopathics which relate to the illnesses seen in the northern hemisphere in the previous winter. We tweak this most years to reflect what is going on out there and obviously we tweaked it early last year in light of what was going on!
Get Prepped (pka Winter Prep) also includes general support remedies which can help with the early stage of a cold or similar illness. These are all standard and traditional homeopathic remedies.
How to use as a support remedy:
Take once a week as a general support.
For travel see our specific Travel Prep remedy and instructions.
If you’re a close contact of someone who is sick:
If you’ve been in contact with someone who has come down sick, take once a day for 3 days then revert to weekly, until you see whether you develop symptoms.
The remedy may be used even if you’ve had the v*x to give additional support.
If someone comes down sick:
Give three times a day for 3 days alongside other indicated homeopathic remedies and supplements.
Here are some other posts we’ve written on winter-type illness which may have additional useful information.
There are some common supplements you can take as part of your support regime as well. I’m not going to discuss this topic here as there is plenty of information online, but I have included some basic information on nutrition below.
My main advice with supplementing would be not to overdo the supplements through fear of getting sick or panic at being sick! Taking too many supplements when your system is under strain (mental, emotional or physical) can be as bad as too much medication. You’re asking your body to deal with a lot of input when it’s below par.
Take what seems sensible.
Leave some more for if you do get sick so that you’ve got some additional support protocols, and buy the best supplements you can afford.
Just in: Dr Ian Brighthope’s TriNutrient Support Protocol for Children
Due to regulations I can’t share the link because it talks about “treatment” however, if you go to the Parent’s with Questions website you will find the link with additional information.
Vitamin C 500 – 1000 mg four times a day (as powder in dilute juice)
Vitamin D3 2,000 – 5,000 IU per day ( liquid or oil capsules)
Elemental Zinc 15 mg per day (can be purchased as a liquid)
Children under 5
Vitamin C 250 – 500 mg four times a day (as powder in dilute juice)
Vitamin D3 1,000 – 2,500 IU per day ( liquid or oil capsules)
Elemental Zinc 7-10 mg per day. (can be purchased as a liquid)
Sometimes we forget that food is medicine too.
I was just finalising this post when a list of top food sources of the various important nutritional elements arrived in my FB notifications, so I thought I’d share here. You can do your own evidence-based research from this list to see what is going to work for you and your family.
If you look through the list (including vegetarians and vegans!) you can see that a well balanced diet, high in fruit and vegetables and low in sugar, alcohol and carbs is going to be a good support, regardless of anything else you choose to do at this time.
Top 8 sources of Vitamin D
- Sardines & Mackerel
- Salmon & Tuna
- Shitake Mushrooms
- Cod Liver Oil
Top 6 Food Sources of Quercetin
Quercetin is being widely discussed as an important immune support. In fact it transports zinc into the cell and we know how important zinc is for the immune system and acute illness.
You can actually make your own Quercetin and we’ve been taking ours with our local honey, garlic, turmeric mix! Check out Pinterest for “how to”.
- Olive Oil
Top 6 Food Sources of Zinc
- Oysters & shellfish
- Lean red meat
- Sesame & pumpkin seeds
- Chickpeas, legumes & beans
Top 6 Food Sources of NAC
- Lean pork & beef
- Salmon & tuna
- Sunflower seeds
Top 6 Sources of Vitamin C
- Kiwi fruit
- Red capsicum
Melanie Creedy is a Licentiate of the British School of Homeopathy in the UK and holds a Bachelor of Health Science in Homeopathy. She is registered with the Australian Register of Homoeopaths (AROH) and is a member of the Australian Homoeopathic Association. She was Vice President and Professional Development Coordinator of the Australian Homoeopathic Association from 2011 to 2015 and editor of the AHA National Newsletter from 2012 to 2020.
Melanie has used homeopathy since the mid-1980s and has been in practice since 1998. For many years she ran The Children’s Ear Clinic in Western Australia, but since her tree change to Tasmania, has a special interest in helping individuals manage their life and health through looking at a diagnosis or condition in relation to the symbolism of this unique picture. Armed with a range of remedies from the most common to the most unusual and esoteric, Melanie guides people to plumb the depths of their life and spiritual path with homeopathy to help them find insights, to understand and to heal.
Homeopathy is a traditional medicine. It may be used alongside conventional medicines, naturopathic prescriptions and other traditional treatments. Homoeopathic medicines have not been known to produce side effects and can be taken in conjunction with pharmaceutical medications as they are not contraindicated.
Our kits are suitable for the management of minor ailments and self-limiting illnesses and not for the home treatment of chronic, ongoing or serious conditions or named diseases. Use only as directed. Always read the label or information supplied. If symptoms persist see your health care practitioner.
For any ongoing chronic condition, it is important to be assessed or examined by your healthcare professional or specialist. Always seek medical advice in emergencies. The information provided in this blog does not constitute medical advice but is for information only. If in doubt as to the appropriateness of a suggestion or treatment seek advice from your homeopath.