In a nutshell, Homeopathy is a complete system of natural medicine which works by stimulating the body’s own healing mechanism (immune system) to work harder to overcome the current symptoms.
It can help bring improvement in a wide range of physical conditions, as well as in many emotionally-based states, such as stress or short-term anxiety. Simply put it brings the system back into balance by treating the person and not just the symptoms.
Simply put it brings the system back into balance by treating the person and not just the symptoms.
Our fast paced lives and environment seem to result in more and more health issues, and “stress” would be the most common cause given by patients for the onset of a range of symptoms. Even small children seem to be suffering the effects of too much stress in their lives.
Homeopathy is a great system of medicine for helping manage children’s ailments because of its gentle but powerful action, its ability to address underlying inherited tendencies and issues such as birth trauma, plus it’s easy to take!
Homeopathy treats the whole person not just the symptoms, so each prescription will be different regardless of the conventional diagnosis.
Homeopathy treats the whole person not just the symptoms, so each prescription will be different regardless of the conventional diagnosis. While it is possible to treat the symptoms only, we get the best results when we look at the whole person.
Unlike the naturopathic approach which tends to rely on supplementation and dietary changes, homeopathy’s uniquely prepared medicines act deeply and often permanently, because they bring balance.
What can homeopathy treat?
Because of the unique way we look at the person and not the symptoms, people may consult a homeopath for literally anything. Homeopathy can be used alongside other forms of medicine as it does not interact, and it attracts people from all age groups.
These days homeopaths would commonly help individuals and families manage a variety of symptoms from mild asthma* to allergies and food intolerances, gut problems, menstrual issues and emotional states, such as anxiety*, night terrors or school phobia.
A consultation focuses on how a person experiences life and what issues or genetic inheritance may have produced the current state of ‘dis-ease’, imbalance or illness. Environmental factors and toxicity are also a major consideration in this day and age.
The homeopathic process involves building up a detailed picture of the individual in order to produce a match with one of around 5000 medicines. Our medicines – or remedies – come from all the natural kingdoms and are prepared in a special way which makes them potent, deep acting and low risk.
The homeopathic journey can be life-changing, particularly for people who suffer conditions which affect their relationship with their environment, like phobias, allergies or depression*.
*We will always undertake this process after you’ve consulted with your GP and specialists, have had the relevant tests and may still be supported by them at this time. Sometimes you will have had or still be taking medication, but we can work with this too.
Did you know…
- Homeopathy is the second largest system of medicine in the world. 1
- It is estimated to be growing at 20% each year in the UK. 2
- It is used by 15% of people in the UK, 27% of Germans and by 40% of French people. 3
- There is a substantial body of scientific research demonstrating homeopathy is an effective form of treatment.4
- There are over 3,000 registered practitioners across the UK. 5
- Homeopathy can be prescribed alongside other forms of medicine.
- Each homeopathic medicine is specifically matched to the patient.
- It is a self-regulated and low-risk form of medicine with little or no side-effects.
- Homeopathy has been established and refined for over 200 years.
- 70% of those that use homeopathy experience improvements in health.6
Thanks to www.findahomeopath.org.uk for this information.
Here are a few more links to fill you in on the evidence and science
- This is a very recent and very interesting video clip on the science of water and homeopathy, presented at the New Horizons in Water Science conference in July 2018 – Water Science – The Evidence for Homeopathy?”.
- For a large collection of research articles on homeopathy go to the Australian Homoeopathic Association’s website and also look at HRI, a global homeopathic research institute.
- Here is a further list of positive studies.
- Also see our Blog for a further perspective on “What is homeopathy?”
And here is an article that will answer nearly all the questions you’ve ever had. Some very slight differences in opinion, but generally homeopaths are all on the same page because homeopathy follows the laws of nature!
1. The World Health Organisation
2. Mintel, Complimentary Medicine Report, 2007
3. Target Group Index, Global Survey with 25,000 participants, 2005.
4. British Homeopathic Association, Mathie, R. The Research Evidence Base for Homeopathy, 2009.
5. UK register bodies
6. 6-year study at Bristol Homeopathic Hospital, 2005.
Homeopathy is a traditional medicine. It may be used in conjunction with other medicines. For any ongoing chronic condition, it is important to be assessed or examined by your healthcare professional or specialist. Always seek medical advice in emergencies.
The information on our website does not constitute medical advice. It is referenced from the traditional homeopathic texts and is for information only. If in doubt as to the appropriateness of a treatment seek advice from your homeopath.